Making plans, keeping comfort

Spent the night overnight at the hospital with my sister and Mom last night. The spells of conciousness are growing shorter and shorter, and Mom is sleeping far longer. She's gotten to the point where she really can't move without assistance, and getting two or three bites of a meal. My sister's really showing her calling-she's applied to nursing school and she's slept at Mom's bedside for two nights now.

Hospice came in today and we made our arrangements with them. Mom will be released from the hospital and into a hospice care facility. However, hurricane Wilma has forced Hospice to evacuate another facility in flood zone A to the facility Mom has been approved to go to, so the earliest they expect they'll be taking her is Monday. I'm the patient surrogate, so I had to sign a lot of papers. Mom was able to sign her own DNR and Living Will. It's the hardest thing anyone has to do, and Mom has handled this with grace and dignity.

Family drama has been an issue, and I had to call a spade a spade yesterday. What would you think if you heard someone's parent was dying, but the person was talking about a house being their 'legacy', and the various items the parent had collected their whole life were supposed to go to them? What was your answer? You think they sound very greedy? I thought so-I told the person off without having to raise my voice. Basically, my mom had a very private conversation meant to give that person some solace about the loss of a property that was in our family for a couple of generations (lost to last year's hurricanes in a roundabout way). The party involved instead told anyone who would listen that Mom told her this.

Of course, this means that I'm a mean person, because I said something to the party who was spouting this crap. However, I've made it a point to call my siblings and keep them posted on the progression of events. I guess that makes me a horrible person.

Anyway, I'm only home for a short time. Around here, the kids only get their report cards when the parents go to a teacher conference. So, here I am for a brief update.

Please think about anyone in the path of Wilma. I'm sure hoping she decides to weaken and head out with minimal damage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously