Life

In life, friendships seem to change and evolve. Some people grow closer as events happen, some drift apart.

I've been fortunate to have a core group of friends for around twenty years now. A few of these friends have been around since my gawky, gangly teenage days, some from college and some were assimilated from work.

As we've gotten older, life events have changed the relationships. Ed and I were the first to have kids, so we weren't as 'pick up and go'. Other friends have caught up on the child front, my sister as well, and those relationships seemed to grow stronger because we'd already walked a mile in those shoes.

Some friends call more, some call less. One right now has a chaotic work and test schedule, so I make the effort to call her, knowing full well that times will change and she'll pick up the phone more often when life allows. In some cases, I get the lightbulb moment that I never get phone calls-I'm the one doing all the calling and there isn't a single reason for it.

Another thing that weighs on my mind right now is that I get so little time with my family, that when I'm not working, I want to spend time with them.

It is what it is-I'm a realist. That said, it doesn't change the fact that I'm bothered by the whole thing. Guess it boils down to accepting that I am part of a package deal.

I'm guilty of this myself, so that's probably why it bothers me. My closest friend in high school has very little in common with me-hasn't for years. She came from a family with money and didn't have to work. If I wanted anything in life, I had to work for it.

I'm happy about that part-because the best friend from my teens is going to be 40 and has yet to find her purpose in life or anything that brings her personal satisfaction on a basic level. I don't have money, but I've got a family, a house and a job that I enjoy.

I walk through life a pretty happy person, but damn, some things shake it up pretty bad some days...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously