Mmmmm, Brownies

In the oven is my latest batch of what may be the yummiest brownies you can eat. Thanks to Alton Brown (and a cupboard filled with the right ingredients), I hardly ever buy brownie mix anymore. We're having a bake sale at work to raise money for St. Jude Children's Hospital, and as soon as I mentioned cookies or brownies, the unanimous vote was for my brownies.

So, you're wondering what recipe I use? Glad to share it. It's actually a recipe found on Hershey's website. I'll post the link and the recipe and note my changes to the recipe, too.

Best Brownies

Ingredients: (double or even quadruple-I regularly quadruple this and no one is upset that they didn't get some)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I always double this-tastes like you melted vanilla ice cream into the brownies)
  • 2 eggs (when doubling, 3 eggs. Quadrupling, 6 eggs. We like a chewier brownie)
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts(optional)
  • CREAMY BROWNIE FROSTING(recipe follows) (I have yet to do this, since the brownies are so moist without it)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch square baking pan. (Double in a 13x9 Quadruple-2 separate 13x9 pans)

2. Stir together butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl. Add eggs; beat well with spoon. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in nuts, if desired. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.

3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Prepare CREAMY BROWNIE FROSTING; spread over brownies. Cut into squares. About 16 brownies. (My suck ass stove needs 35 minutes for these)


CREAMY BROWNIE FROSTING

3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
3 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 tablespoon light corn syrup or honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Beat butter, cocoa, corn syrup and vanilla in small bowl until blended. Add powdered sugar and milk; beat to spreading consistency. About 1 cup frosting. (something tells me that milk, eggnog or baileys would be a better liquid than milk)

Now, if you're a purist, check out Mike Menninger's Good Eats Fan Page for Alton Brown's version.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously