Suzanne's Soundtrack Sunday

It's interesting how songs you learned when you were very little stay in your head and pop out of the depths, dust the cobwebs off and bounce around all day long. Today's musical selection might run around yours, too.

See, someone mentioned elephants. Someone else mentioned monkeys, and I was off to the Animal Fair. Of course, I googled it, but the version I found must be a British one (judging from the accents of the singers) and the words were slightly different.

The one I learned:
I went to the animal fair
the birds and beasts were there
the big baboon, by the light of the moon, was stroking his auburn hair
the monkey he got drunk
and sat on the elephant's trunk
the elephant sneezed, and fell to his knees
and that was the end of the monk, the monk, the monk.

But the British version?
I went to the Animal Fair
The birds and beasts were there
The big baboon, by the light of the moon, was combing his auburn hair
You ought to have seen the monk
He sat on the elephant's trunk
the elephant sneezed and fell to his knees
and what became of the monk, the monk the monk?

(I guess you can't talk of drunk monkeys or dying monkeys outside the US!)

Here's my version:


Now the monkey can run around your brain, too!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously