Some Things Never Change

One of my nightly chores as a kid was washing the dishes. We did not own a dishwasher, something that is readily apparent if you look at my hands. Sorry, Madge, Palmolive did nothing to make mine look good!

As a teen, nearly every night, after I'd made dinner and we ate it, I'd spend my time washing the dishes with the phone cradled between my ear and shoulder as I talked to my best friend while I completed the task I hated (especially the silverware.)

The pump went on our dishwasher a couple of months ago and Ed and I alternate on the dish washing duties. Chef is about to be trained in Mom and Dad's way of doing dishes, in exchange for five bucks a week (he came up with the amount). Tonight, as I washed, Ed dozed in the living room and I wished for the old days, with the phone nestled and I chatted away.

It's not a good idea to do it with a cell phone. The ear bud could have been utilized, but by the time I thought of it, my hands were immersed in the hot, soapy water, and I wasn't going to dry them off to grab the phone and the ear bud.

Strangely, one of the friends I chatted with during dish duties back then called as I was doing this chore. I wouldn't have gotten to the phone in time, so we ended up chatting after the chore was done. It's funny how one activity becomes intertwined with another after years of doing it that way.

Next time, I'll be prepared with the phone in the back pocket and the ear bud at the ready. At least my neck won't hurt when I'm done with the dishes and the phone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously