Oh Well

I had hoped that the House episode last night would have shed more light on this disorder I have that I still don't know a lot about. The only thing new I recently discovered (and was pinpointed in the episode) is that the coughing attacks I get nightly when I lay down? Those are a manifestation of Chiari I Malformation.

In case you watched the episode and still wonder what the heck Chiari IS, check out the National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke's web page

From their web site, here is a list of symptoms: (I highlighted what I know or suspect are caused by mine:

Many persons with a Type I CM do not have symptoms and may not know they have the condition. Individuals with other CM types may complain of neck pain, balance problems, muscle weakness, numbness or other abnormal feelings in the arms or legs, dizziness, vision problems, difficulty swallowing, ringing or buzzing in the ears, hearing loss, vomiting, insomnia, depression, or headache made worse by coughing or straining. Hand coordination and fine motor skills may be affected. Symptoms may change for some individuals, depending on the buildup of CSF and resulting pressure on the tissues and nerves. Adolescents and adults who have CM but no symptoms initially may, later in life, develop signs of the disorder. Infants may have symptoms from any type of CM and may have difficulty swallowing, irritability when being fed, excessive drooling, a weak cry, gagging or vomiting, arm weakness, a stiff neck, breathing problems, developmental delays, and an inability to gain weight. (What they did not list here, but it does on another site is that adults with CM also may have a hypersensitive gag reflex.)

For an hour of network tv, not bad. As a means of giving more information about a disorder that most people don't know about, not so much-especially since they didn't even name Chiari Malformation until the last 3 minutes of the show.

Bummer

Comments

Kaoscapt said…
Does this mean that I get to put you in a headlock and pull the next time you get a headache>

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously