A Letter to Dad

Dear Dad,

It's been almost twenty years. Yeah, I know, a long time. Lately, I've been thinking about you a lot more than usual.

I wonder what things you and the kids would be getting into, whether you and Chef would have been to a Broadway show, a hike or a hundred or whether you'd be debating the merits of various musicians. With Game Teen, you'd probably be pulling that literary storehouse out of the boy and had a lot of patience with his obsessions.

The main reason you've been on my mind is that you valued education above all else. It took a long time, but I realize that my passion for books came from you. Your thirst for knowledge was impressive, and you stressed the importance of a good education to me and Giggles.

You were so proud of both of us attending college and disappointed when I 'took a semester off' that stretched a lot longer than one semester. Right after you passed away, I returned to school to get those 12 credits done, but I got sidetracked by life once more.

The first day back at college, I could hear you whispering in my ear "keep going, Suzie, you can do this." With every good grade, a part of me wished you were here to see the fruits of my hard work. You'd be reveling in the fact that I am so very happy in school.

As I entered this semester, a bit of melancholy crept in. I'd be finishing my time with some great friends and fantastic professors, but starting on a new educational journey. I think a part of the feeling is because I wish you were here to see it.

Monday night, I walk across the stage. I will be getting that bachelor's degree. If you were here, I know how proud you would be to say "BOTH of my daughters are college graduates."

Just as I know that at the end of this educational journey, it would tickle you to no end to say "my daughter, the PhD."

One step at a time, Dad. But I'll get there.

Better late than never.

I just wish you were here to see it.

Love,

Me

Comments

ligirl said…
Beautiful. I believe he knows about your journey here and is so incredibly proud of you!

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously