Wrights Gourmet House, Tampa

My time spent working in Tampa netted a group of great places to go to lunch, Wright's being one of them. For the first month I worked in Hyde Park, I would come into work on nights I worked closing to find the other managers and DM finishing up a meal from there and thought 'what gives?', because it always seemed to happen on days I wasn't there.

One day, the menu was sitting on the break room table and I looked it over while eating my sub-par lunch. The next day, I had a mission: head to Wright's and get one of their sandwiches. It was worth the trip. I got there, got in a long line (be prepared, lunch hours always have a line) and in about 15 minutes, I had quality deli food, the likes of which I hadn't enjoyed since moving to Florida.

Like a New York deli, they have many named sandwiches, huge round ones loaded with meat, but you can get a half, if you're not that hungry. Each sandwich is prepared to order, so if you want them to switch things out, just ask.

Their Martini is my favorite, but with a twist. I ask for onions instead of the usual mushrooms, and keep the usual (medium-rare) roast beef and creamy herb spread. I think the onions are an improvement. The bread is baked on premises and is round, thanks to a tradition from the war. Tin was scarce, so they'd use the #10 cans as baking pans, something they still do today.

The made to order, gourmet sandwiches are just the start. There's a deli case full of fresh made salads, homemade soup, and decadent desserts, too. I was in luck, because the soup of the day was Manhattan Clam Chowder. I am not a New England style fan, so I had to have it. That soup was awesome, full of large chunks of vegetables and clam in a light tomato broth. It's a winner. Even better, the lady who prepared my sandwich gave me the rest of the onions she sauteed in a little cup and I dumped that into my soup. Wow.

The cakes are great, too, I've had a slice or two in the past. However, yesterday was Chef's birthday and I saw the boxed cakes and decided on the spot to pick up their chocolate peanut butter cake. It was a wise move. Delicious light peanut butter frosting adorned a very moist chocolate Devil's food cake. Chef liked it, so I did good.

If you're in South Tampa, it's lunch time, and you want a decent meal for around $12 bucks, you can't go wrong with a half sandwich, cup or soup and drink from Wright's. Just know that if you get there between 11:30 and 1:30, there will be a line out the door. Don't worry, you'll have your food in less than 15 minutes, on a par with a sit down meal, and the food will be just as good.

Wright's Gourmet House on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously