$250 Later

I have three textbooks for the summer.

One class requires two textbooks, one I rented and the other I purchased. The class will cover two topics that are near and dear to doctoral students: grant writing and dissertation proposals. By the end of the semester, the professor expects us to have written a real or mock grant and have a strong dissertation proposal draft. My soon-to-be major professor was concerned that I'm taking the class now, explaining that it's better to take at the end of the classroom study. However, there have been no guides to the order of courses in either my master's or Ph.D studies, so I opted for my usual method of getting the tough stuff out of the way first.

The other class is in my cognate. I've had several appointments scheduled with my supervising professor for that program, but we keep having to reschedule. I'd like to get in to see her before I schedule more courses in that concentration, because I have two options to follow. The class I start in two weeks is a requirement for either if I were getting a Master's, which is how we're supposed to model the cognate studies. You take master's level courses in that content, and doctoral level in the major.

What is cool is that a coworker is taking the same two courses, so we'll either be cheering our choices or commiserating if the workload gets to be too much. Those two books are not small! At least the cognate area text is written by an author I've picked up before, but not a textbook. Her writing style is precise, but not dry, so I'm thinking I will not fall asleep reading the text.

While many undergrads are finding their texts in digital form, that doesn't seem to be happening much with graduate courses. It's a shame, there's plenty of room on the iPad for all the books...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glad that I'm not "Guilty By Association" on this one

Wal Mart Your Zone $500.00 Gift Card Contest!

Webmaster Alex speaks Anonymously